Working as an attorney isn't nearly as glamorous as portrayed in shows like Suits or Law and Order. Nevertheless, it remains one of the best paying jobs in the United States. Even better, there's increasing demand for lawyers and legal professionals in today’s economy, which means there are plenty of jobs and opportunities for growth in the field of law.
That said, not all opportunities are created equal. There are certain fields of law, some well-established while others emerging areas of law, that are more in-demand than others. Below are six practice areas most in-demand for lawyers, making them some of the best types of law to practice.
1. Technology and Intellectual Property (IP) Law: There's no slowing down the exponential growth of technology. Thus, there'll be an ever-growing need for legal experts capable of navigating issues related to intellectual property, such as software licensing and patent disputes.
2. Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Law: According to Theft Resource Center’s 2022 Data Breach Report, 1,802 data compromises were reported last year in the United States. This in turn impacted some 422 million people. The significant and constant threat of cybercrime has led to a major demand for lawyers who can advise companies and clients on data protection regulations, cybersecurity compliance, and how best to handle data breach incidents. This is one of the most exciting emerging areas of law.
3. Healthcare Law: The healthcare industry is incredibly complex and, not surprisingly, heavily regulated. Thus, for those up to the challenge, healthcare law remains one of the best types of law to practice. There is an ever-present need for attorneys well-versed in medical malpractice, insurance, and other legal matters within the healthcare sector.
4. Environmental Law: If you spend any time reading or watching the news, you'll know there are constant concerns related to environmental sustainability and environmental regulations. Lawyers specializing in environmental law are in demand to address issues such as compliance with environmental regulations, land use, conservation, and climate change-related litigation.
5. Employment and Labor Law: In the past few years, we saw a paradigm shift in the way people work, and where they work from. This created a host of new workplace dynamics, employee rights, and issues related to remote work arrangements. This in turn has contributed to a much greater demand for lawyers with a deep understanding of employment and labor law.
6. Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) Law. M&A law remains one of the best law practice areas for hungry, aspiring transactional attorneys. In the year 2021, global mergers and acquisitions saw record-breaking numbers. And though transaction numbers dipped in 2022, they were still 35 percent greater compared to averages from 2015 to 2019. Companies looking to position themselves for future growth will need good M&A attorneys, making this one of the best law practice areas for the future.
Are you looking to work within these exciting and emerging areas of law? See who is hiring at CyberCoders.com.
Thousands of full-time and remote jobs in every industry. Search jobs.
We'll find you the right candidate, fast. Get started.
Our recruiters connect people with great opportunities and help our clients build amazing teams. Learn more.