Many young and aspiring lawyers dream of working for a prestigious firm as they advance their careers. But the reality is, those dream jobs are hard to come by and many do not know how to get a job at a law firm. This is because, too often, there are a myriad of challenges between a new lawyer and his or her dreams.
Below you will find a list of six common pitfalls that can prevent you from getting hired at a law firm, and how you can overcome them.
1. Finding the right job opportunity. As stated above, it is not always easy to find the right job opportunity. Many do not even know how to get a job in law. To increase your chances of getting hired, make sure you have the proper qualifications and experience for the positions you want.
2. Dealing with a small network. When you first come out of law school, you typically do not have a very strong network of lawyers or an idea of how to get a job at a law firm. At this stage of your career, your network is comprised largely of your peers. While in school, make time to network with professors and alumni so they can open you up to new potential employment opportunities.
3. Poor references. Most law firms, just like any employer, will want to check your references before hiring you. But when you first graduate, you may not have many quality references, who can vouch for you. Even more, reason to network with your professors and attorneys in your area so you have the requisite references.
4. Lack of experience. It can be incredibly frustrating when candidates feel they lack the necessary experience for even entry-level positions. A great way to earn experience before graduating law school is to take part in school practicums, externships, and internships. Developing practical legal skills will give you a big advantage at graduation.
5. Age Discrimination: Older attorneys may face additional obstacles when looking for a new job, such as age discrimination. But remember, this is a two-sided coin. Ultimately, experience is one of the things that firms value most. So if your age comes with practical experience, you may be in luck. Further, there are laws in place to protect against age discrimination.
6. Geographical limitations: Some attorneys really struggle to find big law positions in some geographical regions. They ask themselves how to work in a law firm if there are not even any good law firms in the area where they live. Ultimately, if those are the positions you really want, you need to be prepared to travel to larger cities. But remember, you do not need to work for a major firm to have a successful legal career.
If you are considering a new job in the legal field or wondering how to find law firms that are hiring, start looking for the right opportunity at CyberCoders.com.
Thousands of full-time and remote jobs in every industry. Search jobs.
We'll find you the right candidate, fast. Get started.
Our recruiters connect people with great opportunities and help our clients build amazing teams. Learn more.